Pit bull terriers: Pictures of America's most popular dog
Pit bull terriers are some of the most popular dogs in America, and for good reason. Given the same care and training as any other puppy or dog, they make fantastic pets. The flip side of their popularity is that animal shelters and rescue groups are teeming with young, short-haired, muscular dogs, labeled (rightly or wrongly) “pit bulls.” They’re not hard to find. In fact, in many areas they’re the dogs most often killed in shelters, simply because there are so many of them.
Here at Best Friends, we are working hard to change the negative stigma surrounding America's favorite dog. There are so many reasons why we love them, but we picked a few of our favorites to share with you. (Warning: these photos are over-the-top adorable!)
1. Having a bad day? No worries — these guys are natural clowns and promise to make you laugh!
2. "Trust me, I'm a lion."
3. Motto to live by: find balance in life.
3. They promise to be your BFF for life.
4. "Cheese is part of a balanced diet."
5. They'll be your very own personal pillow pet.
6. PUPPIES! Need we say more?
7. They're great at going incognito.
8. And of course, they just want to have fun!
They are more than just cute. They’re silly, sweet, smart, loyal, affectionate, athletic, and they just want a family to love them.
Through our pit bull terrier initiatives, we are working to overcome breed discrimination and help pets receive the love and care they deserve. Learn more.
Click here to view adoptable pit-bull-terrier-like dogs at Best Friends Animal Society.
The Huffington Post has dedicated the entire week to sharing stories to help raise awareness for pit bull terriers. They're even handing over the reins of their Instagram account to us on Friday, Aug 28. Follow along here.
Photos by Best Friends photographers